Baking holiday treats with the kids is a tradition in many families. This year, look for ways to trim up your favorite recipes and share a gift of good health.
Ingredients (Yield: 32 cookies)
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1¼ cups sifted whole wheat flour
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp ground ginger
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) trans fat free margarine, softened
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup unsulphured molasses
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together margarine and brown sugar until fluffy. Mix in egg and molasses until combined. Gradually add flour mixture.
- Divide dough into thirds and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for about 2 hours, or until firm.
- Dust rolling pin lightly with flour; roll out each piece of dough on wax paper until it is about 1/8 inch thick. Dip cookie cutter in flour and use to cut out gingerbread man (or other desired shapes).
- Transfer cookies onto baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until golden brown. With a metal spatula, transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
Serving Size: 1 cookie
Saturated Fat: 1g
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content.
For more healthy recipes, visit HealthyKohlsKids.com. The Healthy Kohl’s Kids program is a partnership between Children’s Hospital & Medical Center and Kohl’s Department Stores to educate children and parents about healthy nutrition and fitness.