Parkinson’s Nebraska, formerly Parkinson’s Health Development (PHD), aims to be Nebraska’s primary resource for information, education, and outreach. To achieve this goal, Parkinson’s Nebraska embraces collaboration to organize events, promote awareness, and raise funds for local Parkinson’s services and research.
- Referrals—Please help get the word out! Parkinson’s Nebraska is here to help patients and caregivers alike.
- Charitable donations, or financial tributes to those affected by Parkinson’s disease
- Like Parkinson’s Nebraska on Facebook (facebook.com/parkinsonsnebraska) and follow
them on Twitter (@ParkinsonsNE)
- Volunteers for events and office help
- Intern to assist with tech support and administrative tasks
- Parkinson’s Nebraska presents: “Delay the Disease” Instructor Training Symposium—Grand Island
Sept. 7-8, 2018
- Walk & Run the Park for Parkinson’s—Featuring the First Annual Shake-a-Leg 5K
Sept. 30, 2018
- #Giving Tuesday (Home Instead Senior Care Foundation)
Nov. 27, 2018
- UNMC’s Skate-a-Thon for Parkinson’s
Jan. 25-26, 2019
Parkinson’s Nebraska is dedicated to responding to the changing needs of the Parkinson’s community in Nebraska. What began with one courageous woman’s goal of increasing access to specialized exercise classes for people with Parkinson’s in Omaha has evolved into the broader vision of empowering individuals with Parkinson’s and strengthening a community statewide. Nebraska has an exceptionally high rate of Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s Nebraska’s motto, “A Journey Shared,” embodies its secret to success: a collaborative approach.
Parkinson’s Nebraska relies on research and the generosity of donors to respond to local needs. Because exercise is essential for symptom management, Parkinson’s Nebraska has always worked to increase accessible options, and has proudly sponsored over 1,000 specialized classes since opening their doors in 2016. Nebraska’s greatest resource is its kind-hearted people, and Parkinson’s Nebraska provides tools and training to professionals in rural communities so that others are empowered to meet the need in their hometowns.
Pay it Forward
Parkinson’s Nebraska is driven by the unwavering spirit of the local Parkinson’s community. Just as each person’s journey with Parkinson’s is unique, Parkinson’s Nebraska thrives because of the variety of contributions it receives from volunteers, local talent, and generous donors. Despite being a small organization with much ground to cover, Parkinson’s Nebraska is able to be a resource to all Nebraskans living with Parkinson’s thanks to the tremendous support of the local community.
16811 Burdette St. Suite No. 1
Omaha, NE 68116
The Big Give was published in the September/October 2018 edition of Omaha Magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.