The Wide Angle Seated Forward Bend stretches the hamstrings and inner thighs, tones and strengthens the spine, opens the hips, and stimulates the abdominal muscles, all while relaxing the mind.
- Sit upright and separate the legs, creating a “v” shape.
- Rotate the legs back so that the knees face towards the sky, and flex your toes to protect the knee caps.
- Ground the sit bones to the earth, and lengthen the spine by reaching the crown of the head towards the sky.
- Roll the shoulders down the back, and away from the ears. Open through the chest to unround the spine.
- Actively press the thigh bones into the ground.
- Inhale deeply, and as you exhale, bend forward at the hip joints.
- Place hands on the ground in front of you, and reach forward (for a more advanced pose, grab each of the big toes with the peace sign fingers and thumb).
- Breathe deeply for 10-20 breaths.
- Inhale to come up, and repeat.