The following project took a little longer than expected. Honestly: You’ll need some patience and the good part of a weekend. But I think the results are worth the trouble.
Mod Podge glue and sealer
Several photos of your choice
1. You’ll need four, 14×14-inch pieces of wood. At Home Depot, they cut your wood to size for free.
2. Sand each piece and round the corners.
3. Stain both sides and let dry. I used a dark walnut color so my pictures really stood out.
4. After the stain has dried, follow the directions on the bottle of Mod Podge. I used “Matte” Mod Podge from Hobby Lobby.
5. Lay everything out first prior to gluing. Use a small sponge applicator to put a thin, even coat on the back of each photo.
6. Once finished with both front and back, re-apply the same stain again to give it a more aged look. I used a soft, dry rag. After the surface was completely dry I went over it with a high-gloss sealer.
My theme was food. I thought it would be fun to have a picture of the dish on the front with the recipe on the back.
These mats should be great conversation pieces, not to mention the fact that I will have several good recipes looking me in the face for years to come.
Have fun with your projects and please send us your own ideas. We’d love to feature your creation.