These brownies are a delicious treat that should please almost everyone in the family. Fudgy and rich, they’re also gluten-free!
Ingredients (yield 12 servings)
- ½ cup reduced calorie trans fat-free margarine
- 5 oz dark chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- ¼ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup almonds, processed into a fine meal/flour
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Line an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with foil and lightly coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- In the microwave, melt margarine and dark chocolate chips in a large, microwave-safe measuring cup, in 20-second intervals, until melted. Stir until smooth. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs until frothy.
- Add brown sugar and whisk for 1 minute, or until the mixture is smooth.
- Gradually add the melted chocolate mixture into the egg-sugar mixture, and mix well for 1 minute, or until the chocolate is smooth and glossy.
- In a bowl, combine rice flour, almond meal, salt, and baking soda; whisk together. Add to the chocolate mixture and mix well for 1 minute. Add vanilla and mix for 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Tap the pan on the counter to even out the batter.
- If desired, layer nuts and/or semisweet chocolate chips over the top of the batter and press them in slightly.
- Bake for 33 to 35 minutes or until the brownies are set. Cool on a wire rack; remove the brownies from the pan by gripping the foil edges. Chill before cutting.
Serving Size: 1 brownie
Saturated Fat: 4g
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content.
For more healthy recipes, visit HealthyKohlsKids.com. The Healthy Kohl’s Kids program is a partnership between Children’s Hospital & Medical Center and Kohl’s Department Stores to educate children and parents about healthy nutrition and fitness.