Toss the sugary cereals. Here’s an on-the-go breakfast bar or healthy snack recipe that’s ready when you are. Full of sweet cranberries, oats, and almonds, these bars offer great taste in every bite.
Ingredients (yield 16 bars)
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup (about 2 oz.) chopped almonds
- 3 cups unsweetened puffed-grain cereal, such as Kashi
- 2 cups dried cranberries
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 12 oz. silken tofu, drained
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup honey
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat a large (15¼” x 10¼”) baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- On another baking sheet with sides, spread oats and almonds. Bake until light golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and add puffed cereal, dried cranberries, flour, and salt; stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, purée tofu, egg, oil, honey, vanilla, and orange zest until smooth.
- Add the tofu mixture to the puffed cereal mixture and stir gently until combined. Spread evenly in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until firm in the center and golden brown. Let cool completely in the pan on a wire rack. With a sharp knife, cut into 16 bars.
- To make ahead: Individually wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store at room temperature for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Thaw at room temperature or remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and defrost in microwave.
Serving Size: 1 bar
Saturated Fat: 1g
* Nutritional information is based on ingredients listed and serving size; any additions or substitutions to ingredients may alter the recipe’s nutritional content.
For more healthy recipes, visit HealthyKohlsKids.com. The Healthy Kohl’s Kids program is a partnership between Children’s Hospital & Medical Center and Kohl’s Department Stores to educate children and parents about healthy nutrition and fitness.